Salivary Gland Lesions In Erbil: A Clinicopathological Study With Particular Reference To Gender, Age of Patients, and Site

Abstract

This is a retrospective study; 204 cases of salivary glands were collected from the archives of the histopathology departments of Rizgary Teaching Hospital and private laboratories in Erbil, Kurdistan region of Iraq in the period between 2010 and 2015. Data to be analyzed included sex, age of the patients, exact histological diagnosis and anatomical location as documented in the histopathology report. The pathologies were classified into inflammatory, benign and malignant neoplasms. 116 of 204 cases (56.86%) were males and 88 (43.14%) were females with (M: F ratio 1.32:1). The age range was 9-75 years; the mean age was 38.03 years. Peak incidence for neoplastic lesions was within the age group (21-30) years for both sexes, while for inflammatory lesion the mean age was under 20. Inflammatory lesions represented 19.60% of cases and the rest (80.39%) were neoplastic, of which 69.60% were benign and 10.78% were malignant. The commonest benign neoplasm was pleomorphic adenoma and Adenoid cystic carcinoma was the commonest malignant tumor, the most common site was the parotid gland (75% of malignant cases).